Monday, November 17, 2008

Frankfurt

I spent Saturday in Frankfurt with Hauke, another friend from the german exchange that I was a part of in highschool. I have flown in and out of Frankfurt at least half a dozen times but I have never seen more than the airport. Due to the global financial crisis, the Frankfurt skyline is in the papers nearly every day because it is the "financial district" of Germany. It was exciting to finally get to see it for myself. I saw the Bull and the Bear in front of the Deutsche Boerse (German stock exchange), the European Central Bank, the Opera House, the Fachhochschule, two wonderful eateries - Cafe & Bar Celona, Zimt und Koriander. I got to see it all again and even more from atop the High Tower. Best of all, I showed my Maryland student I.D. and saved money on the ticket. There are no dates on the I.D. - issue or expiration - so I plan to use it forever. Hauke was a fantastic tour guide! He even introduced me to my new favorite show on Saturday evenings which covers all of the day's highlights from the Bundesliga (Fussball league). Hopefully, next spring I will be able to find tickets to a TSG 1899 Hoffenheim match. They have been top of the league this season and will move to their new stadium after its completion in January 2009. A perfect combination for a good time!

No comments: