Sunday, January 25, 2009

mein Geburtstag

I enjoyed another wonderful birthday abroad.  As a refresher, I celebrated my 21st birthday in South Africa.  First, Max, Tom and Sabine knocked on my door at 8:30 to sing me happy birthday.  I have to admit that Max was a little shy but Tom sang nearly the whole song, despite the fact that he had only just woken up five minutes before.  Suess!  Next, my cousin Annika invited me to brunch in town.  I do love brunch in Europe - muesli, cheese, fresh bread, eggs, cucumbers, fresh orange juice.  It was absolutely delicious.  I had planned to do several errands on Monday but as it rained the entire day (that's not an exaggeration, somehow it is possible to never stop raining in Europe) I had to wait until Tuesday.  I spent the next few hours in town shopping for random odds and ends and eying some prospectives.  By the time I got home, Max and Tom had already napped and were waiting for the "birthday party".  It was a sunny afternoon and the sun has been setting much later in the day.  We were able to hang outside for an hour or more before Isabel, Moritz and Nikolaus arrived.  Sabine had prepared a cake so Isabel, Sabine and I enjoyed a slice each with some tea.  Then I put the boys in my room where they were meant to watch a DVD as the rest of us watched the inauguration.  Remember when I said it felt like my birthday when Obama won the election?  Well, it was my birthday when he was sworn into office.  Pretty memorable!  Nils and Mara made it just in time and another family joined halfway through.  We all enjoyed a glass of champagne to celebrate both occasions.  Sabine prepared cheese fondue which was a first for me.  It was delicious.  It was a wonderful day filled with wonderful people. 

1 comment:

Joy said...

I wonder where you'll be when you turn 24...

Love from Morocco :)