Monday, March 23, 2009

Dolomiten

I have just returned from the Dolomites.  It is a region of the Alps in Italy.  I didn't even know that the Alps passed through Italy.  When I think of Italy, I think of Rome, Venice, Florence and Sicily.  Snowboarding in Italy was an unexpected surprise!  It was even more of a surprise to learn that the region spoke German fluently.  Therefore, I found it easier to speak German than English!

We arrived late in the afternoon on a Saturday.  The boys wanted to go swimming so we explored the hotel's outdoor pool.  The temperature of the water was about 90.  It was incredible to be able to swim outdoors and see snow capped mountains in the backdrop.  Our afternoons were the same for the rest of the week with only minor adjustments: swimming, playroom and dinner in the restaurant at the hotel.  The boys got set up with lessons to start the next morning and made sure all their gear was ready for the early start.  On Sunday, we all took the boys to the mountain for 2 hours of lessons.  They only made it through the first hour and then pooped out.  The first day is always difficult.  We went into town in the afternoon to explore.  While Nils and Sabine searched for sunglasses, I took Max and Tom to check out the gondolas.  They were mesmerized and excited to learn that they could ride on them the following afternoon.  On Monday, Sabine stayed with the boys on the bunny hill while they had lessons.  Nils and I began to explore the slopes.  The weather was picture perfect.  Snow everywhere, beautiful mountains, blue skies, abundant sunshine…  We met Sabine and the boys at the restaurant at the top of the gondola for lunch.  They had a great time playing in the snow on the rooftop deck.  I went off to do a little of exploring on my own while the boys napped.  I went down a slope that I thought lead back to my town but was pleasantly surprised when I arrived at a castle in the next town over.  On Tuesday, Nils and I spend several hours completing the Sella Ronda, a pass around and entire mountain.  It was a wonderful accomplishment.  We decided to do it again, but in the opposite direction, on Thursday.  On Wednesday we met the boys after their lessons to go down the slopes together.  They are great!  They just go straight down the mountain and catch speed, just like me!  They managed to go three hours on several days of the week, which was a huge achievement after only one hour on that first day.  Friday was the coldest day of the week.  After only a few runs, Sabine called and asked us to come back to the lower slopes.  Tom was pooped and fell asleep on her lap.  She took him back to the hotel while Nils, Max and I continued skiing.  It was amazing to see how quickly kids can learn.  After only two weeks of skiing, Max and Tom can walk in the ski boots, ride the teller lift alone, and race down the mountain!

No comments: