Saturday, June 13, 2009

Prague

The last time I travelled alone was over three years ago when I ventured to Fiji. Even then, I was set up with a tour so I was with a pretty steady group of people. This time, I was totally on my own in Prague. It was wonderful! I was on my own schedule and got to see and do anything and everything that I wanted to do. I checked the bus schedule last Wednesday morning and booked a ticket to leave for Prague on Thursday night. I took a Eurolines bus directly from Heidelberg to Prague. It was both less expensive and less timely than the train. I arrived in Prague early on Friday morning, leaving me two and a half days to explore the city.

Friday. I arrived extremely early in the morning and went for breakfast with some people from my bus. It was difficult to find a place that was open at 7 in the morning. After filling my tummy, I headed for my hostel. The weather was weird. It started to rain as soon as I exited the metro. It continued to rain throughout the rest of the day, about 7 times. Between each shower (or downpour) the sky was blue and sunny. I found some shelter whenever it rained because I hadn't packed an umbrella. Anyway, in the morning, exhausted from not sleeping on the bus coupled with the rain, I decided to sleep on the couch in the lounge of my hostel. After a nap, the sun was back out and I ventured out into the city. I walked to the castle and wondered around for a few hours. It was extremely crowded! I guess it is the main tourist attraction of Prague. It is kept it in really good shape; it doesn't even look that old with all the new paint... I enjoyed the gardens and all the pictures that could be taken of the rest of the town from the hilltop that the castle laid upon. I wandered down the hill and through the Lesser Town where there were lots of touristy shops. I went to the top of the Church of St. Nicholas where I snapped some nice pictures of all of prague. From there I continued over the Charles Bridge, which was really amazing, and back into the Old Town. I saw the clock which was gorgeous but the show on the hour was a little lame. After all this walking I decided to go back to check into the hostel and get settled. Before dinner, I went for a run in one of the parks semi near my hostel which was nice cause i got to see another part of town and a park that I probably wouldn't have seen otherwise. I ate at an indian joint that was vegetarian for dinner. I was tired and returned to my bed to read.

Saturday. I started my day with breakfast at Bohemian Cafe, which was filled with American students who seemed to be studying abroad. It was a nice place to read and enjoy a bagel and of course, coffee (no where near a NY bagel but it was still yummy). I walked through the 'jewish town' and saw the cemetery and the synagogues. I walked down the 'Fifth Avenue' of Prague, lined with Louis Vuitton, Lacoste, Burberry, etc. I just let myself wander, walking the whole day! Eventually, I ended up at the Powder Tower which I decided to climb for more great photos. I saw the eiffel tower (Petrin Tower) and headed for that next. It was a long walk to the tower, and another walk to the summit but totally worth it once I looked out upon Prague. Atop the hill, next to the Petrin Tower, was the house of mirrors. It was fun and I made some silly photos. I walked back into the Old Town and went to Clear Head, a well-known vegetarian restaurant, for dinner. The food was excellent; my favorite was the sun-dried tomato peanut pesto. I was beyond stuffed when I departed and walked the whole way home to help work off some food.

Sunday. I only had half a day to spend in the sunshine of Prague. I first went to Vysehrad, a fortress atop another small hill on the southern side of the Prague with a cathedral, large cemetery, and gardens. It offered even more views of Prague. Despite how many towers and hills I climbed, each view over Prague was truly unique. I didn't spend too much time atop Vysehrad as I wanted to visit the Communism Museum before I had to catch my bus. I had tried to find the museum the day before but had had no luck. Finally, after circling the block once more, I found it in the center of the block. It is as confusing as it sounds. It was well worth the second trip. I don't remembering learning too much about the political history of Czechoslovakia; I found it interesting to read about the details. Communism... Wow. I went for a warm lunch afterwards, as I would be on the bus for what would be dinnertime. I ate at another great vegetarian restaurant. Lonely Planet says that Prague isn't the most vegetarian friendly city in Europe but I think I have to disagree!

Great last minute decision; everyone should visit Prague.

No comments: